Benefits of Installing Modified Bitumen Roofing in Frisco, TX
Advantages of Using a Bitumen Roof on Your Commercial Building
One of the more “longevity-centric” options when dealing with flat roofs is bitumen roofing, or a modified bitumen roof. A type of asphalt product, modified bitumen can be applied in a number of ways to the surface of the roof in both hot and cold temperatures, and such roofs offer a number of advantages over other types of membrane roofing. Because they’re often seen as the “modern alternative” to the built-up roof option, shouldn’t you sit up and take notice? If we were seeking the most up-to-date solution for modified bitumen roofing in Frisco, TX, we sure would.
As we mentioned, there are several different advantages to using a bitumen roof on your commercial building; unlike some newer variants of roofing, it has a long, proven track record that can be relied upon. What’s more, bitumen roofs are one of the longer-lasting types of flat roofing materials, easily able to endure 20 years or beyond. Regardless of how the material is applied (self-adhesive sheets, cold-applied adhesives or hot-mopped asphalt) the seams are usually melted together which help stop leaks. Other types of membrane roofing have seams that are left open or covered with an alternative material that tends to weaken over time, so the fact that a bitumen roof can act seamlessly is a massive advantage.
Bitumen roofing systems are also very durable, boasting a high-tensile strength so they are not likely to develop the types of cracks that other flat membrane roofs are notorious for. Additionally, they are rated against fire, wind and hail, so they’re unlikely to be damaged in the event of a bad storm. It is important to note that the most professional of companies offering modified bitumen roofing in Frisco, TX will provide a detailed manufacturer’s warranty that can help guarantee the roof’s longevity.
You can choose from two types of modified bitumen membranes:
- Atactic Polypropylene (APP) – This type of modified bitumen roofing is a thermoplastic polymer that is either heat-welded or torch-applied; it is known to yield asphalt with a plastic-like quality.
- Styrene Butadiene Styrene (SBS) – This type of modified bitumen roof is installed using cold adhesive or hot moppings (as we touched on above) of asphalt; it may also come with adhesive backing and conveys a rubber-esque appearance.
Why Choose Bitumen Roofing?
So let’s quasi-summarize here – modified bitumen roofing in Frisco, TX is definitely recommended for commercial roofing projects based on the following benefits:
- Longevity – This type of roofing can last up to 20 years without the need for much maintenance.
- Strength – Both types of modified bitumen roofing can withstand both high and low temperatures due to polymer modification; the number of sheets also improves durability.
- Waterproof – The adhesives used to attach modified bitumen provide protection against water damage.
- Energy Efficiency – This type of roofing material comes with an insulating layer that limits the flow of heat throughout the system.
When it comes to experiencing a successful bitumen roofing job, the key is to make sure you are having it done correctly, and this means using a two- or three-ply material and having it coated against UV exposure. When done right, a bitumen roof can far outlast the competition.
Learn more about modified bitumen roofing, call (972) 272-7663.